Saturday, July 10, 2010

Worship

I have been doing a lot of thinking recently about worship. I have a hard time remembering that worship is everything I do. All of my thoughts, actions, motives everything! I recently read a book that really opened my eyes called The Air I Breathe by Louie Giglio. I really like the way he was just blunt about certain aspects of worship. One quote that has stuck with me has been
" We have to think carefully about what we're saying...what we're singing. And who we're singing to. Sometimes we would be better off saying nothing than standing there and lying to the face of God. Our worship would honor Him more if we stopped singing and realigned our heart with His.".. what a powerful thought.

Something is going to grab your affection. Someone is going to captivate your heart and mind. One thing is going to rise to the surface of your values and drive your life, aiming your steps and determining your destiny. Do we have our future based on our desires? The perfect Christian relationship, the perfect job, perfect friends etc that will define our destiny? OR are we focusing and trusting and letting Christ be the center of our affection and captivate our hearts completely? Because when we choose to do things our way we are essentially telling the world and God that He is not good enough to lead our lives and meet our needs. Whatever you worship, you become obsessed with. Whatever you become obsessed with, you imitate. And whatever you imitate you become. Whatever you value most will ultimately determine who you are.

When our worship is small we have in a sense reduced God in our hearts and have clouded our vision and allowed our hearts to become distracted. The best thing about the God I serve is that Even though He is the God who holds galaxies in place with His power, He also invites us anytime to look up to Him and behold His greatness. He invites us to call Him by name and be His friend.
Ultimately true worship is a whole-life response to God's greatness and glory. A response that taps our mind, our soul, our heart of passion, and our strength.
I am going to leave you with another quote:
" If you don't like who you're becoming, take a quick inventory of things on the throne of your heart. If you want to be more and more like Jesus keep your worship focused squarely on Him."

After reading this man my worship stinks. I pray that we can all reset our focus solely on Christ and what He has done for us and respond accordingly.
Hope this encourages you as much as it encouraged me..

2 comments: